Become a tester and earn $10 per test
Each test lasts 10-20 minutes and is completed with your home computer or smartphone. Read the following instructions and watch the example video to understand what our customers are looking for from a tester.
Read the following instructions carefully before applying.
What do usability testers do?
They conduct usability tests on websites. Their job is to imagine a given scenario and perform certain tasks, like finding a product in an online store and going through the checkout process. This helps site owners find and fix usability issues.
Do testers need to buy products or services from the websites they test?
No. You may be asked to go through the checkout process of online stores, but most of the time the scenarios will ask you to stop before clicking on the final submit button. In any case, you SHOULD NOT enter your real credit card details while performing a test.
What equipment do I need to be a tester?
In order to test websites and get paid $10 per test, you need to have a Windows or Mac computer. If on Windows, you need to have Windows 7 or newer.
Your computer also needs to have a microphone, either internal (like most laptops have) or external. If you need to buy an external microphone, even the cheapest ones selling for around $2 will work.
Should I use my real name and address while conducting a test?
No, you should use fake details while conducting a test.
In what language should I speak?
You should speak in the language of the test. You will be sent tests in your native language and some times in another language that you have set as fluently spoken in your profile. So, you should never be asked to speak in languages that you do not speak fluently.
What is the qualification test, and why do I need to take it?
The qualification test is the initial test each new tester needs to take in order to verify that they have a microphone and that they can speak their thoughts while completing tasks. Based on this qualification test, testers receive the first rating that will determine if and how often they'll get to do paid usability tests. There is no payment for the qualification test.
What are screener questions?
Before you start a test, you may be asked to answer one or more screener questions in order to determine that you are the right fit for the test. For example, if the client needs to test a website selling baby strollers, you may be asked whether or not you have small children. If you meet the criteria, you will proceed to take the test. If not, another tester will be notified.
The answers you provide to screener questions are strictly confidential and none of your personal data (including your name or email) is revealed to the client or any other third party.
You must answer screener questions honestly. Otherwise, you waste your time and the client's time, and you will not get paid.
What makes a good tester?
Good usability testers speak as they surf the website. They express their thoughts and can provide useful feedback on how they expected the website to work. Watch the video to see an example of a helpful usability tester.
A good tester can provide useful information on a site's usability.
We DO NOT want a tester to:
- Just read what the site says (the client already knows what's on the site.)
- Say everything is OK.
- Show off how good they are and how easily and fast they can complete tasks.
- Flatter the site. However, if you're really impressed with something, you can say so.
- Go beyond the scenario, or not perform the required tasks.
- Perform the test like an expert.
We NEED the tester to:
- Perform the required tasks according to the test scenario.
- Speak loudly and clearly into the microphone.
- Perform the test in a quiet place.
- Continuously explain what they are doing and why.
- Say what confuses them, and what attracts their attention.
- Propose things that would help them perform the required task.
- Provide useful comments.
- Thoroughly answer the questions in writing, at the end of the test.
For some people, testing is naturally easy to do; others may need some practice. Watch the video on this page to get a feeling for what kind of feedback we need.
How do I get paid, and how much?
For each test you conduct after the initial qualification test, you get paid $10. You receive payment after approval, about one week after the test, via PayPal or Amazon Gift Cards (recommended). You can set your preferred form of payment in your profile. If you don't have a PayPal account, you can open one at www.paypal.com.
What are reasons for not getting paid for my test?
We want to provide our clients with a service of high quality, so we will have to deny payment and redo the test with another tester in the following cases:
- You have not tried to complete all the tasks. Make sure that you try to perform all the required tasks.
- You have not provided comments on the microphone while taking the test. Speak your thoughts aloud as you do the test.
- Audio is not clear. Test your microphone before taking each test and make sure that you speak calmly and clearly near the microphone.
- There is noise in the background. Find a quiet place and keep dogs and kids in another room while taking the test.
- You have multiple monitors and you recorded the wrong one. Make sure that the Userfeel app will record the monitor with the browser in it. Check the preview that we provide in the app.
- You have set up the external camera for a mobile test incorrectly. Make sure that the camera is at the right angle, focused and with good light exposure.
- You receive a call during a mobile test. Put the phone in do not disturb mode before starting a test, so that you don't receive any calls while you are recording.
What data should I give about myself?
When signing up as a tester, you are asked about your basic demographic data, like age, native language, and level of web experience. This is done because our clients want to test with different tester profiles based on their needs. None of your personal data (name, last name, or email) are ever revealed to third parties.
How much can I earn per month as a tester?
The amount of money you can earn depends on your rating as a tester. You get rated by the Userfeel team for the first qualification test, then you get rated by our customers for each paid test you take. The better your rating, the more tests will be assigned to you. The amount of tests you receive will also depend on the amount of orders we get that ask for your demographic profile.
When are tests performed?
Notifications about available tests are sent to testers when an order for a test is placed. Orders may be placed at any time of the day (or night). If you don't start the test when you receive the notification, another tester will be assigned to it. Not taking tests that are assigned to you doesn't negatively affect your rating.
How do I become a tester?
To become a tester, you need to register and take the qualification test.
When will my qualification test get rated?
It depends on the amount of new testers applying. It can take between 7 and 15 days.
For more questions, you can contact us.