Become a tester and earn $10 per test
Each test lasts 10-20 minutes, you do it from your home computer or smartphone. Read the following instructions and see the example video in order to understand what our customers need and like.
What does a Usability tester do?
He or she conducts usability tests on websites. His job is to follow a given scenario and perform certain tasks, like find a product on an online store and get through the checkout process. This helps site owners see problems that they hadn't seen and fix them.
Do testers need to buy products or services from the websites they test?
No. You may be asked to get through the checkout process of online stores, but most of the time the scenarios ask you to stop before clicking on the final submit button. In any case, you SHOULD NOT put your real credit card details while performing a test.
What equipment do I need to have in order to be a tester?
In order to test websites and get paid $10 per test, you need to have a Windows or Mac computer. If on Windows, you need to have Windows 7 or newer.
Your computer also needs to have a microphone, either internal (like the one most laptops have) or external. If you need to buy an external microphone, anyone, even the cheapest ones, selling at $2, will work.
Should I use my real name and address while conducting a test?
Even though there will be no problem if you input your real name, address etc., you may use fake ones while conducting a test.
In what language should I speak?
You should speak in the language of the test. You will be sent to do tests in your native language and some times in the language that you have set as fluently spoken in your profile. So, if you set your profile right, you'll never be asked to speak in languages that you are not fluently speaking.
What is the qualification test, and why do I need to take one?
The qualification test is the initial test each new tester needs to take in order to verify that they have a microphone and that they can speak their thoughts into the microphone. Based on this qualification test, they get the first rating that will determine if and how often they'll get to do paid usability tests. There's no payment for the qualification test.
What are screener questions?
Before you start a test, you may be asked to answer one or more screener questions in order to determine that you are the right fit for this particular test. For example, if the client needs to test a website selling baby strollers, you may be asked whether you have little kids or not. If you fit, you will proceed to take the test, if not, another tester will get notified.
The answers you provide to screener questions are strictly confidential, none of your personal identification data (name, email) is revealed to the client or any other third party.
You need to answer screener questions with sincerity. Otherwise, you waste your time and the client's time and you will not get paid.
What makes a good tester?
Good usability testers speak as they surf the website. They can express their thoughts and can provide useful feedback on how they expected the website to work. See the video to watch a really helpful usability tester.
A good Tester can provide useful information on a site's usability.
We DO NOT want a tester:
- Just reading what the site says (we already know what's on the site.)
- Telling us everything is OK.
- Showing off how good they are and how easily and fast they can do it.
- Flattering the site. However, if you're really impressed with something, you can say so.
- Going out of the scenario, or not performing the required tasks.
- Performing the test like an expert.
We NEED the tester to:
- Speak their thoughts on the microphone.
- Tell us what confuses them, and what attracts their attention.
- Explain what and why they do every time.
- Propose something that would help them perform the required task.
- Provide useful comments.
- Perform the required tasks according to the test scenario.
- Speak loudly and clearly on the microphone.
- Perform the test in a quiet place.
- Thoroughly answer the questions in writing, at the end of the test.
For some people, that's naturally easy to do; others may need some practice. Watch the video on this page to get the feeling of what kind of feedback we need.
How do I get paid, and how much?
For each test you conduct after the initial qualification test, you get paid $10. You receive payment after approval, about one week after the test, via PayPal or Payoneer. You can set the preferred way of payment in your profile. If you don't have a PayPal or Payoneer account, you can open one at www.paypal.com or www.payoneer.com.
What are reasons of not getting paid for my test?
We want to provide to our clients a service of high quality, so we will have to deny payment and redo the test with another tester in the following cases:
- You have not tried to complete all the tasks. Make sure that you try to perform all the required tasks.
- You have not provided comments on the microphone while taking the test. Speak out your thoughts as you do the test.
- Audio is not clear. Test your microphone before taking each test and make sure that you speak calmly and clear close to it.
- There is noise in the background. Find a quiet place and keep dogs, kids family in another room while taking the test.
- In case you have multiple monitors, you recorded the wrong one. Make sure that the Userfeel app will record the one with the browser in it. Check the preview that we provide in the app.
- In case of mobile testing, you have wrong setup of the external camera. Make sure that the camera is at the right angle, focused and with the right light exposure.
- In case of mobile testing, you receive a call during the test. Put the phone in do not disturb mode before starting the test, so that you don't receive any calls during the test.
What data should I give about me?
When signing up as a tester, you are asked about your basic demographic data, like age, native language, web experience. This is done because our clients want to test with different testers profiles based on their needs. None of your personal data (name, last name, email) are revealed to anyone, ever!
How much can I earn per month as a tester?
The amount of money you can earn depends on your rating as a tester. You get rated by the UserFeel team for the first qualification test and then you get rated by our customers for each paid test you take. The better your rating, the more tests will be assigned to you. Based on that and on the amount of orders we get that ask for your demographic profile you get tests assigned to you.
What hours during the day are tests being performed?
Notifications to testers about available tests are sent when an order for a test is placed. Orders may be placed at any time of the day (or night). If you don't start the test when you receive the notification, another tester will be assigned to it. Not taking tests that are assigned to you doesn't negatively affect your rating.
How do I become a tester?
To become a tester, you need to register and take the qualification test.
When will my qualification test get rated?
It depends on the amount of new testers applying. It can take between 7 and 15 days.
For more questions, you can contact us.